Sunday, January 4, 2015

Okara Burgers



It's been such a long time since I've updated this blog.  As part of my new year intentions I've stop going to facebook for the month of January, perhaps longer if it suits me, but I've also decided to try and post more regularly here.  I still cook and bake so why not write about it?  I think sometimes we just get out of the habit of things...and sometimes pick up some habits we should let go.  January is the time when we naturally reflect on these sorts of things I guess.  Time to be better, more organized, fitter and smarter people.  Haha, in a perfect world maybe.  I just want to be healthy and happy and be around others that feel the same way. 



Time to post some recipes too I think.  I've been making my own soy milk lately and one of the by products of the process is okara . Okara can be used in burgers, breads, cakes and muffins.  I've been experimenting with great results.  My very first attempt at making something with okara was a slightly modified recipe from the FatFree Vegan Kitchen site.  I'm sure her recipe with no modifications was absolutely wonderful but I always adapt to what's in my kitchen and what I like.  ;) They were fabulous! 

                                                                                             

Okara Burgers
(adapted from this Okara Crab Cake recipe)

1 large stalk celery, finely chopped              
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1/2 orange or red pepper, finely chopped
2 cups okara
1/2 cup old fashion oats
2 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup cornmeal


I threw all of the vegetables in the food processor and pulsed until everything was finely chopped.  Feel free to do it by hand for a more meditative experience.  :)
Saute in a nonstick skillet until softened, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine okara, vegetable, oats, and Old Bay.  Mix well and set aside to rest for 10 minutes or so.  I took the time to wash the dishes so mine set for much longer then 10 minutes and was a great consistency.

Preheat oven to 350° F. Using a 1/4 measuring cup make about 12 to 16 patties. Very gently coat the patty with cornmeal.
Gently place the cornmeal coated burgers on a  baking sheet that's been sprayed with oil.  Bake 15 minutes. Carefully flip and bake for another 20 minutes. They should be golden and crispy on the outside. 

These go well with all sorts of condiments.  Tarter sauce, ranch dressing, ketchup, mustard, you name it and it tastes great!  I served them with a big green salad and sweet potato fries.  So good!  Thank you Susan for your great inspiration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment