Monday, June 4, 2012

Delicious Vegan Yellow/White Cake

** UPDATE**  1/20/2015 -I'm working on a better, more like traditional omni version, yellow cake!  I recently got inspired with a great idea for a more tender crumb version of a vegan yellow cake.  This current cake recipe is still very good but I have noticed some people, for what ever reason, end up with a heavy texture.  So disappointing, especially if making the cake for a special occasion.  I'll post new recipe as soon as I have my results.  Stay tuned. 


After realizing that I didn't have this cake recipe on my blog and that it was only posted on the currently very virus-y vegweb (and other sites that may have copied and pasted it : / ), I've decided that I must remedy this!  Here you go...I hope you enjoy.  : )


 




Favorite Vegan White/Yellow Cake

1 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c icy cold water
1/2 c oil
2 t vanilla extract (Madagascar vanilla gives a great vanilla taste)
2 T lemon juice (does not create a lemon flavor at all)

This recipe tastes like a typical vanilla cake. It rises extremely well, is light, fluffy, moist and rich at the same time.

Preheat oven to 375f. Grease an 8" or 9" pan.

In a med size bowl sift flour, and baking soda until very light...about 3 times. In a small bowl combine water, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Once batter is combined add lemon juice and stir quickly and pour into prepared pan.

 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove to cool on wire rack.  Frost with your favorite recipe or use my vegan buttercream recipe that follows. It is the recipe I used the frost the cake pictured above. : )

Makes 1 8" or 9" cake.  Double all ingredients except salt for 2 layer cake. 



Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
3 1/2 cups powered sugar
*1/4 cups soy creamer (adding only what is needed, 1 T at a time, until desired consistency)
1 t vanilla

Add all ingredients except soy creamer to a large bowl. Starting on slow speed, beat with an electric mixer. Add soy creamer 1 T at a time, increasing speed as frosting ingredients are combined. Beat for at least 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Enough to frost and decorate a  9" cake.

Double recipe for a 2 layer cake.

*I'm sure any non-dairy milk could be used in place of the soy creamer but I love the added richness you get from the creamer.

11 comments:

  1. I'd love to use this as a recipe for my baby's first birthday cake. Though a half cup of oil is a bit more than I want to give her. Would this cake work with an oil substitute like applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made it with a substitute so I don't know for sure. I would think it would work though. To me, baked goods that are reduced in fat too much end up feeling rubbery. Maybe use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce. I think with the sweetness and vanilla the baby will like it regardless of the fat content. If you try it, please post your results. It may help someone else looking for a lower fat alternative. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could I use almond milk in place of water

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry didn't read all the to bottom :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made this cake and doubled it for a two layer cake. When we finished baking the 2 layers completely according to the directions, they had not risen and were slightly sticky on the outside. After they had cooled completely, they were rubbery, not fluffy or light. :( The icing was perfect, however. We wanted to know if anyone knew why/how this happened, if it was normal/ok for this recipe,..etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cakebaker36 I'm sorry your results were not great. The result were not normal for this recipe. It should have risen normally and the results are not quite as light and fluffy as a normal egg based cake but very good and not at all rubbery. Sometimes vegan white cakes are a pain to get perfect. I'm not sure what went wrong on yours...did you sift it well? Ice cold water?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would any changes need to be made for this recipe to work for cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the cooking time. You would cook them for less time as cupcakes. The cupcake should spring back when pressed gently with a finger or use the toothpick test.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you use cake flour or all purpose flour?
    ~Kris

    ReplyDelete