Friday, April 2, 2010

Chick Pea Salad (mock chicken or tuna)


This is one of my family's favorite everyday lunches. Either in a tortilla, on a homemade roll, or some whole grain bread, they love this salad. People may roll their eyes but once they taste it they are convinced...this is good stuff. This recipe makes a big bowl. I am usually feeding 3 or 4 grown men.

Chick Pea Salad aka mock tuna or chicken salad

4 cups cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 med onion, finely diced (the boys like it onion-y so I I use a whole med onion!)
2 sm or 1 lg stalk celery, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped pickle or pickle relish
1 T yellow mustard
1/2 T agave or rice syrup (I use nayonaise. If you use veganaise which is sweeter you may need less or no sweetener)
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Place chick peas in a med to lg bowl. With a fork or potato masher mash the chick peas, leaving some whole. (or you can give them a quick whirl in the food processor but be sure it is very quick or you will have the makings for hummus!)

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! My Mom made this for me once and I've been trying to find the recipe since! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this. I seriously can't believe how easy/cheap/astoundingly delicious it is! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so welcome. I'm glad you like it. One of our absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete