Thursday, October 20, 2011

I know I am a bad blogger...but I have vegan doughnuts!



My excuse for inconsistent blogging is I get busy and forget. I think I will do it tomorrow or the next day and then think the same thing when tomorrow comes. I am sort of scatterbrain...it's my nature. I have been cooking up a storm though. The other day when I got home from work I decided, out of the blue, to whip up a batch of pumpkin doughnuts. They were pretty and, more importantly, tasted very good. I actually think the texture was more like a that of a deep fried doughnut the next day. So you won't have to worry about "day olds" , if they last that long, because they are equally good the next day.



Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves
1/2 t salt
1 cup almond milk mixed with 1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree mixed with 1 T Ener-G Egg placer (dry)
2 T oil

Preheat oven to 425f, spray doughnut pan with cooking spray or oil

In large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and beat until just combined. Fill each doughnut shape almost full. Bake 9 to 11 minutes. When pressed gently with your finger the doughnut should spring back. Cool in pan for 4 minutes. Remove from pan. Let doughnuts cool if you plan on dipping them in glaze. If you want sugar doughnuts, shake in a ziplock bag with 1/4 cup sugar while they are still slightly warm.

glaze - In a small bowl mix 1/2 to 3/4 cup powered sugar with a bit of cinnamon then add water or almond milk, a tiny bit at a time, until icing reaches the desired consistency. Dip one side of doughnut in icing and place on cooling rack to firm.


Makes 1 dozen doughnuts

This recipe would be a little too moist to make rolled, fried doughnuts.

It is an adaptation of the recipe on the Wilton doughnut pan.

1 comment:

  1. This is great thank you for sharing this, I've never heard of a vegan doughnut.
    catering nyc

    ReplyDelete