Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm am such a lazy blogger...


I don't mean to be lazy about blogging but I am. It is something I want to work on for 2011. I have recently been laid off so I should have time on my hands. Evaluating my next step in the employment field. I am thinking I want to be a yoga teacher. I am doing some research on programs and playing with the idea in my head. I will update when I decide.

Tonight or early tomorrow morning we are suppose to get a nor'easter. Not looking forward to that but happy I won't have to drive in it. Tonight I made a big pot of soup for dinner and can't help but think how perfect it would be for a cold and stormy night. I served over brown rice but it would be equally good served over some type of noodles. It was hearty and filling and went over great with the family.



Hearty Chickpea and Vegetable Soup

2 T olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
6 cloves garlic (minced)
1 large potato (diced)
1 large celery stalk (diced)
2 med carrots (chopped)
1 small zucchini (chopped)
1 t red pepper flakes
1 t basil
1 t thyme
3 cups chopped tomatoes with juice
1 quart unchicken broth or vegetable broth (homemade or your fav. store bought)
1 quart water
4 cups cooked chickpeas
1 15 oz jar artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
5 cups kale (chopped)


Heat oil in a large pot over med heat, add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic, celery and red pepper flakes, cook for a minute and then add carrots, potatoes, thyme and basil, cook for another minute and then add remaining ingredients. Turn heat to med-high stirring occasionally, cook until boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer until vegetables are tender. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve over brown rice or noodles if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment