Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day three...I am craving sugar! aagghhh.


So far so good. Except for the intense desire for something sweet right now. I made carrot ginger soup for lunch with the hopes that the sweetness of the carrots would, perhaps, satisfy my sweet craving. No such luck. It truly is not so bad that I can't ignore it but it is slightly harder because there are vegan cookies in the kitchen. I very, very, rarely buy store bought cookies..they are just so easy to make and I don't want to pay all that money for something I can make myself and will most likely taste just as well or better! My mother in law gave me four bags of vegan cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin. So right now it feels like they are calling my name. I will ignore the loud obnoxious cookies and proceed with my detox. I have to mention I have had a headache for at least part of all three days. I don't think it is solely because of the detox but a combination of lack of sugar and caffeine and hormones. : / I will get though this and feel amazing on the other side. No more sugar or caffeine dependency for this vegan goddess! Aaahhh, that will be nice.

Carrot Ginger Soup with Lentils

1 T olive oil
1 med onion
1 lg or 2 med cloves garlic
3 inch piece of ginger root
5 lg carrots
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
5 cups water
1/2 t salt
juice of 1 small lemon
black pepper (to taste)

Heat oil over med-high heat in a med saucepan. Peel onion, ginger, garlic and carrots if not organic. Cut onion and carrots into chunks. Whiz the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor quickly or chop all very fine, add to pan and saute until fragrant and soft. (add water if it starts to stick) Add carrots to food processor and process until finely chopped or chop by hand, add to pan along with lentils, stir and add water and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and let simmer about 30 minutes. Add lemon juice, stir and taste...add more salt if needed and add pepper to taste. You can leave it chunky or use a immersion blender to create a smooth and creamy soup...either way, Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment