Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Quick, take a picture before it is gone!






Last night I made a Seitan Stew for dinner. It was a new recipe I was trying out and as usual my family members were the guinea pigs. I called "dinner's ready" and pretty much as soon as the words were out of my mouth the pot was empty! Ok, I exaggerate a bit. But it did get eaten almost before I could snap a picture. I have to admit I wasn't sure about this one and it came out pretty darn good. I will post the recipe a little later.


After dinner I decided to bake something sweet. I have been playing with a Poppy Seed Bread/Cake recipe in my head for a while. So I wrote it down and gave it a go. The results were better than I expected. I baked it in two loaf pans but I bet it would be fabulous in a bundt pan.




Poppy Seed Bread/Cake

preheat oven to 350 f, grease and sugar two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 " loaf pans.

2 1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 1/4 cup almond milk
3/4 oil
1 T vanilla
1/4 poppy seeds
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup agave (I used agave but after reading about the dangers of it I will substitute rice syrup next time)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 t cinnamon
3 T flax meal

Put poppy seeds, water, agave, raisins, nuts, cinnamon and flax meal in a small pan. Cook on med high heat, stirring continuously until all water is absorbed and it is thick, bubbly and gooey.

Put flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir with a fork to incorporate the baking powder well with the flour. Add the wet ingredients and the poppy seed mixture to the flour and mix well. Divide batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.


ps...all of my pictures have been taken with my cell phone...so they are not great, please keep that in mind if something looks more orangey than should be.

1 comment:

  1. both the stew and bread look great! please share the stew recipe, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete