Wednesday, October 13, 2010

An old favorite...veganized!

After getting home from work last night and realizing I didn't have a clue what I was going to make for dinner, I ventured over to vegweb to become inspired. I was looking at a tried and true quinoa recipe for burritos/enchiladas that I have made several times and and love but decided I just didn't have the gumption for it. I still wanted something with quinoa though. So I decided that I would try making sloppy joes with quinoa. This recipe is an adaptation of one I found in an old magazine for traditional meat sloppy joes. It was a success! It was quick and very easy, two selling points for a work night dinner. If you make it let me know what you think.



Quinoa Sloppy Tams (aka sloppy joes)

1 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 cups water

1 T oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 lg cloves garlic, minced
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 T chili powder
1 t paprika
1 t dry mustard
1/4 t powdered ginger
1/2 t salt
2 t better than bullion vegetable broth paste mixed with 1 2/3 cup water
1/3 c ketchup
1/4 cup vegan worcestershire sauce
hamburger rolls

Place quinoa and 3 cups water in small pan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 12 minutes.

Saute veggies in oil until tender. Add tomato paste and saute until it is well combined and softer(stirring constantly) about 4 minutes. Add spices and saute an additional minute.

Add the broth, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and quinoa. Stir letting the mixture come to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about five minutes. Serve over hamburger rolls.

1 comment:

  1. wow what an awesome way to use quinoa! i think i will try this soon! glad you're posting again luvie <3

    ReplyDelete