Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Autumn is here...

Hopefully I will get on the ball and start posting more. I am not the most disciplined person that you will ever meet. : ( We had a glorious summer here in Maine. It was hot, hot, hot! Maine is known as vacationland and people that were here visiting from Florida would comment that they came to Maine to get away from that kind of heat. I loved every minute of it! I worked a lot and didn't get nearly as much sun as I would have wished. And now wonderful, glorious fall is here. I absolutely adore it. I love the foods, the smells, and even the clothing. In my world, Fall rocks! I hope to be posting some wonderful fall recipes within the next couple of weeks...perfect for the holidays. I will give you a hint. One of them is pumpkin pie whoopie pies! Seriously, who doesn't love them? Also baked apples with a caramel fig sauce. I bet you can't wait. ; )

But for now I have one for Kung Pao Tofu. Not really a fall recipe just a quick and easy go to recipe. : )




Kung Pao Tofu.

1 1/2 cups brown rice (short grain)
3 cups water

4 1/2 T tamari
3 lg cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping T ginger, minced
2 t rice syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
2 t arrowroot
1 t crush red pepper flakes
3/4 cup water

1 lb tofu cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 T oil
2 onions, cut into thin strips
2 peppers, cut into thin strips
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced, on an angle
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts

Bring 3 cups water and brown rice to a bowl in a med pot, cover and reduced heat and let simmer for 50 minutes.

Combine next 7 ingredients in a smallish bowl to make marinade. Set aside. Pour 1/4 cup of marinade over tofu cubes and mix gently. Set aside for 30 minutes or so for tofu to absorb the flavors. Slice the vegetables while tofu is marinading.

Once marinated, place tofu cubes in heated fry pan with the 1 T oil. Saute until it starts to become golden. Remove tofu from pan and add vegetables. Saute until tender crisp, adding water if the vegetables start to stick. Once the vegetables are done add the tofu back to the pan. Then add remaining marinade. Stir gently as the mixtures heats and becomes thicker. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve over brown rice. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did. It serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment