Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Is MimicCreme worth the expense?


A while back I decided to try the MimicCreme brand non dairy cream substitute. I tried the non-sweetened version because I always use non-sweetened non-dairy milks. I was a little excited as I thought about all the uses I could find for this product. Ultimately that was not to be the case. It was not at all pleasing. It has a gritty weird texture and very unpleasant taste. I think I ended up using less than half of the container and throwing the rest away. Something I absolutely hate doing but couldn't bare to use it and ruin a perfectly good recipe. Fast forward a year or so and I am shopping at my local health food store. They have the small containers of MimicCreme Coffee Creamers on sale. I love cream in my coffee and currently use a tablespoon of soy creamer for that rich indulgence. The ingredients listed on the label are almonds and cashews and only 10 calories per serving, soy creamer has 15. You certainly can't go wrong there. Maybe I was too hasty in judging it disgusting the first time I tried one of the products or just maybe the coffee creamer is better than the cream version. What ever the case I bought it on sale and waited till morning to try some in my coffee. Well it is done. I tried it. I ended up drinking half of my coffee and throwing the rest away. It is nasty. It is gritty and lumpy just like the first time even though I shook the bloody heck out of it and the flavor is bland and unpleasant. When you leave your coffee sitting untouched for a period of time you can actually see the cream in it because it sort of separates. Besides being visually unappetizing it has a bad texture and taste. I don't know how they can claim these products are anything at all like real cream. I can only speak for the varieties I have tried of course, but I won't be trying the others. In this vegan's honest opinion this product is not worth any price let alone the high price it actually costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment