Monday, March 28, 2011

Savory Seitan from American Vegan Kitchen

Yesterday I made the Savory Seitan recipe from the book American Vegan Kitchen. I do not currently own this cookbook but if you click on "search inside this book" at amazon you can look at the recipe. I have heard a lot of good things about this book and if the other recipes are as good as the seitan recipe I think it might be a good one to own!

The recipe was pretty clear and list of ingredients was pretty much stuff I had on hand. For those things I didn't have I made minor modifications. I substituted garbanzo bean/fava flour for the soy flour, Braggs Liquid Aminos for the browning liquid, and I used un-chicken broth in place of the veggie broth not because I didn't have veggie broth but because I thought it would give more of a chicken-y flavor which my family would love. I am so glad I did. These cutlets rock! I took pictures before baking in the broth and after and you can see the difference in size. They suck up a huge amount of broth and become so tender and juicy. My head is reeling with the endless possibilities for these little babies. You should give them a try. : )

Savory Seitan Cutlets before baking

Savory Seitan Cutlets after baking







No comments:

Post a Comment