Monday, January 30, 2012

Remember the old school vegan cookbooks? Yeah, they were great. *smiles dreamily*

Yesterday I spent a lazy day at home with my family. My middle son has been pretty sick for over a week. He has strep throat as well as mono...talk about a double whammy! No matter what they say, boys like to be at home with their moms when they are sick. So although I am sorry he is sick it is nice taking care of him again. Icy cold smoothies and kukicha tea are his biggest requests and I am happy to oblige.

A lazy Sunday is a great day to try new recipes so my family got to sample my latest, Brownie Sundae Cheesecake. It is not ready to be posted yet. It still has a few tweaks but it definitely was not bad!

I was looking through all of my old school vegetarian, vegan and macrobiotic cookbooks yesterday and it gave me such a warm fuzzy feeling. They are so comforting. Thumbing through the pages actually feels like home to me. There are so many cookbook writers out there creating awesome and amazing vegan delights but there is just something special about the simple elegance of the old school recipes. The fresh taste of vegetables and grains without all of the fancy, schmancy-ness of some of the recipes of today. I am not knocking them, don't get me wrong, just feeling a bit nostalgic for plain, simple yet utterly delicious foods. As I make dinner tonight with a recipe from one of these cookbooks and I will cook it with love and gratitude in my heart for the cooks, chefs and authors that paved the way for the rest of us. I thank you.

Simple, Fresh, Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment