Friday, November 19, 2010

Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cinnamon Butter - Oh my!

I think I was on facebook when someone first mentioned the idea of carrot cake pancakes. I can't remember who it was or if they had made them or not but the idea must have stuck in the back of my head. Yesterday at work someone mentioned that they were in the mood for pancakes and it made me think of them. How can you possibly go wrong with carrot cake anything? So when I got home from work I decide to take my tried and true "buttermilk" pancake recipe and adapt it to a carrot cake pancake. The result was really, really good. Personally, I didn't even think they needed maple syrup, just a bit of cinnamon butter. I served them with sweet potato hash browns for a light and delicious dinner. They would be a great addition to a brunch menu...yum!




Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cinnamon Butter

2 cups Flour
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t ground nutmeg
pinch of ginger and cloves
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 3/4 cup soured soy milk (add 1 T apple cider vinegar to 1 3/4 cup milk)
2 T oil (mild tasting)
1 T vanilla

Whisk the vinegar in with the milk and set aside.

Combine all dry ingredients in a med-large bowl and stir with a fork or sift to make sure the baking powder gets incorporated with the flour evenly. Add carrots, oil and vanilla to the soured milk. Add the wet to the dry and mix well until relatively smooth. A few lumps are fine.

Pour 1/4 cup measures of batter on a medium hot griddle or non-stick fry pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake bottoms are golden brown, flip and cook until bottom is golden brown. (The trick where you wait for bubbles to appear on surface of the pancake doesn't really work on this particular recipe.)

* perfect pancake making tips


Cinnamon Butter

1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 t agave syrup
1/2 t ground cinnamon

combine and stir until blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment