Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pretty darn easy Seitan...

I love seitan. My favorite seitan cutlet recipe can be found in this post. It is absolutely delicious. Today I wanted to try a more traditional, neutral flavored, but at the same time flavorful (to go with anything) seitan recipe to keep on hand, in the freezer and to use for a stew possibly this evening. Here is what I came up with. I have to say it tastes pretty darn good even as it is. I think it will be perfect as an addition to anything that calls for a meat substitute. I included a picture...but seriously, how pretty can a pot of simmering meat substitute look? haha!





Pretty Darn Easy Seitan

Dough
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t salt
1/2 t paprika
3 T nutritional yeast (optional)
1 1/2 cups broth or water
3 T tamari or braggs liquid aminos
1 t vegan worcestershire sauce

Cooking Broth
6 cups water
1/4 cup tamari
1 large bay leave
1/4 t thyme

Combine all ingredients for broth in a stock pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and keep at a bare simmer.


Combine all dry ingredients for the dough and then add wet and mix to incorproate. Once incorporated knead for a minute or two. Let rest for another minute or two, knead again and then let rest for 7 to 10 minutes. Slice dough into very thin slices. I pull them and flatten them a bit with my fingers to keep them good and thin. At this point the size of the slices are up to you. The larger the pieces the longer it will take to cook. Keep them thin regardless of the size. They will puff up a bit while simmering. Slices 2" long are a good size. It can be used for many things and can always be cut even smaller if need be after cooking. Simmer for 50 to 90 minutes depending on the size. Cutlet size will require the longer cooking time. Keep an eye on the broth keeping it at it a simmer. If allowed to boil it will cause the seitan to have a mushy texture. If your broth becomes low you can always add a bit more water. I didn't have this problem. After cooking I shut off the heat and allowed my seitan to cool in the pan of broth. Can be stored in the fridge wrapped well or in a ziplock bag. Or if not going to use within a week, store in the freezer. It freezes well with no change in texture.

Homemade seitan is so much cheaper than store bought. Plus you have the option of seasoning it any way you like. Give it a try.

If only I could make my own tofu!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, interesting. I have always just done 'lumps' of seitan that I cut into strips before I prepare a dish. Maybe next time I'll try just doing strips to begin with.
    And yeah, is it really sad that I actually think you pan of seitan cooking looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. : ) I thought it looked kind of "brainy" lol! Some of the pieces were pretty good size. I definitely had to cut them smaller for the stew.

    ReplyDelete