Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sorry about missing yesterday...

Day two of....

I was sick yesterday and couldn't think of anything worthy of writing. Hindsight being what it is I decided to write about what I do when I am sick. First off it depends on what is wrong with me obviously. So I will make a list of certain symptoms and the natural, vegan remedies that I use for them. Sounds good right? : )



Nausea, upset stomach - Ginger! Ginger tea, candied ginger, ginger ale (as long as it is made with real ginger), ginger candy, gingery miso soup. Or any miso soup for that matter...it is my go to remedy for any kind of sickness.

Head ache, migraine - snort 4 to 5 grains of cayenne pepper up each nostril and hold there as long as you can...you will sneeze. This doesn't always work but it does sometimes and is definitely worth trying if you have a migraine...if nothing else you will have clear sinuses. Cold compress on forehead and back of neck. Ice cube on the space between your pointer finger and thumb of left hand...let it sit there until it melts.

Diarrhea - very, very soft brown rice. Use twice as much water as usual and cook until soft and creamy. Miso soup/broth, veggie broth, lots of clear liquids. 1 T apple cider vinegar is suppose to help but I can't vouch for that because I cannot take it by the spoonful!

Chest congestion - tea tent. Make a large mug of aromatic tea ( even hot water with eucalyptus or menthol oil in it) and sit under a towel breathing in the steam. Hot, steamy showers can bring a bit of relief also

Nasal congestion - The same as for chest congestion. Also try the cayenne pepper remedy in the headache list..if it is not so congested that you can't breath through you nose at all. A neti pot works wonders and helps keep you nasal passages moist. Apply hot or cold compress around your sinuses. Use which ever one brings you the most comfort.

Sore throat - gargle with a mixture of 1 tsp sea salt and warm water four times a day. Another thing to try is a mixture of 1 Tbs lemon juice with 1 tsp agave and 2 cups hot water, mix well and let cool to warm before gargling.

I have to go to work so I will post more later. Have a great Wednesday and stay healthy. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment