Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Beauty and Self Acceptance


People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.       ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross



The other night after teacher a yoga class, one of the students asked if I could answer a question.  I said sure, I'll try.  Luckily it was an easy question and she knew more than she thought she did and was doubting her own knowledge.  The conversation somehow turned around to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Huh?  I know long reach from yoga to ninja turtles!  Anyway, I said I knew them well because I had three boys.  Another student asked if my boys were still small.  I answered that they were 28, 24 and 22 years old.  She said "Oh my!  I need to do more yoga!  You don't look nearly old enough to have children that old!"  I graciously thanked her and told her that it had made my night.  It had in fact, because I was having a really bad physical self image week.  Feeling old and very unattractive. I shouldn't need that outside reinforcement.  I should be more self accepting, as everyone should, of the wonderful bodies and unique faces we have.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it should never be skin deep.  After all even the most physically beautiful person looks unattractive if her spirit and purpose show ugliness and hate, right?  I'm sure you know what I mean.  Sadly, our society puts so much emphasis on physical beauty and perfection that many/most of us couldn't possibly measure up.  So many woman (and men) turn to eating disorders, drugs, self harm, and other addictions as a way of coping with the self loathing they feel for their bodies that will never be good enough.  Just think of the millions of dollars people spend every year on ways to lose weight! 

After meditating on this, this morning, I've decided to work on a guided meditation for body acceptance and love.  I was so excited about this idea that I'm nearly half way done!  I haven't decided yet on how to make it available.  Here on the blog, as a youtube video or something else all together?  If you have any knowledge or advice in this area I would be very grateful.
 
A woman whose smile is open and whose expression is glad has a kind of beauty no matter what she wears.
~Anne Roiphe 
 
In the meantime, if any of this rings true - close your eyes, take a deep cleansing breath and give thanks for the non-perfect body you have.  The body that has gotten you through your entire life.  Take care of it so it can take care of you.  Be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment