Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer Fresh Lasagne....Yum!



When your harvest basket is abundant with a variety of fresh and delicious things you can't help but get creative. The harvest basket was my inspiration for this fresh, light and delicious lasagne. I actually can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch today! The mojito cupcakes didn't happen last night. I spent a great deal of time talking with my husband and sons about all that has been going on lately. I think it was productive and hopefully healing for those that needed it. Lesson taught and learned- You are not responsible for the actions of another person....only your own. What they say or do is totally their responsibility. You absolutely cannot change a person, you can speak your truth and in the end they will do or say what they want. Thank you and much love Jeanie for helping me to remember these things. In the end, between the talking, work and dinner prep I was pooped last night and after dinner plopped my butt on the couch. Cupcakes were not on my radar. Sad but true. At about 8:30 Jim was sure wishing I had made them as he was craving something sweet and cupcakey. I will give it another shot tonight. : )




Garden Fresh Summer Lasagne

2 medium eggplants cut into 1/2" circles
1 good size zucchini cut into 1/2" circles, or 2 smaller ones (you want equal eggplant and zucchini)
4 large juicy tomatoes sliced into 1/4" slices
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, rolled and sliced into very thin strips
1 lb extra firm tofu
1 T mellow white miso
1/2 black pepper
1/2 block Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 425f

Spray baking sheets with olive oil spray. Lay zucchini and eggplant in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes. Depending on the size of your baking sheets and oven you may have to do two batches. When done set aside. While veggies are cooking place skillet with olive oil over medium high heat, add onions and saute for about five minutes, add garlic and continue cooking for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat. Drain tofu and squeeze a bit with a towel or paper towel to remove excess water. With chunks at a time, squeeze the tofu between your fingers over the pan of onions and garlic. It should have the consistency of firm ricotta cheese. Add the miso and basil to the tofu, onion mixture and mix well. Add the black pepper to taste. Oil a lasagne pan or a large deep casserole. Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of the pan, overlapping if necessary to make it fit. Then top eggplant with a layer of tomatoes. Next, add the tofu and onion mixture, then a layer of zucchini, again overlapping if necessary. Top zucchini with a layer of tomatoes and then finally cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes. Serve with some crusty bread, Molto Delicioso!







5 comments:

  1. Veggan Goddess,
    I was intrigued when I read the personal intro concerning being responsible only for your own thoughts, words, deeds (to add a very true phrase) to your lasagna recipe. Forgive me, but when you bring to a public forum with options for comment, your personal affairs, then expect some. I have virtually no knowledge about the issues faced, but sure hope Jim was as supportive and encouraging of you taking a rest as he was craving the cupcakes. Of course...we choose our priorities. As I said, I don't know the issues nor why you were exhausted. But I do very much appreciate the effort you put into this website and your recipes! Peter Metcalf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, thank you for your kind words. Yes, Jim is a very supportive husband. He loves his cupcakes but loves his vegan goddess more! I hope you continue to read and hopefully try some of my recipes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D You are funny! :D And truthful, I know!
    I already started planning my groceries for tomorrow's shopping to include the ingredients for one of your pancakes.
    My best to you and yours!
    PS I just now learned that (I am eating gluten free vegan) pancakes with about 1/4 cup buckwheat and maybe a little less of oat flours, with about 10-20% carob powder and a couple packets of stevia might rise if I did it right, but in any event, they burn easily and taste really good. Not exactly elegant as they turned out owing to not cooking in the middle. I believe I need to (as usual) stir the batter quite quickly and stop just as quickly. Hesitate, and I am (bubbles are) lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot - sorry - I added to the pancake batter probably 3 TBS of fake vanilla and likely a 1/2 tsp of lemon extract. I tasted the lemon, and it were good ;)the vanilla was on faith - I never taste it except in smoothies or ice cream. Oh...and I used homemade oat milk with some tumeric - enough to taste, but no more, and added to it for rising, some vinegar. I used soda and powder for leavening. There is another good vegan site, one of the writers of which (Mattie) lives in SF across the bay from me. It is veganbaking.net. Feel free to edit my posts for conciseness or verbosity, etc. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't quite conquered the whole gluten free baking thing. My son is gluten sensitive so I do attempt it. So far the majority of things have been pretty good. But figuring how to create a recipe is a bit tricky. Gluten Free Goddess is a great site. Lots of her recipes are vegan or easily veganizable. Haha, is that a word? I will check out Mattie site. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete