Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wednesday Weirdness and Tofu with Sweet and Sour Sauce



Wow, what a crazy day at work. Super busy and people were just not feeling quite themselves for a variety of reasons. It was an odd feeling that made for an odd day. I got home tired and worn out. I didn't much feel like thinking of dinner let alone preparing it. Plus, I had the added delight of a disaster area of a kitchen! My currently unemployed, twenty year old son has the task of tidying up. You know, unload the dishwasher, reload if necessary, take the trash, simple things that mean a lot when you come home tired. He had done absolutely nothing and actually created messes in the kitchen. So now, not only was I tired, I was angry. Great, I do not like to cook while angry for I feel it imparts that energy into the food. After a few deep breaths I decided to run to the store for some fresh pineapple for a Tofu with Sweet and Sour Sauce. The trip dissipated some of the anger and allowed me to focus on creating dinner. I also picked up a bottle of wine. ;) Tofu with sweet and sour sauce may become my "go to" meal at the end of a bad day when I am in need of a little mindless cooking and contemplation.




Tofu with Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 fresh juicy pineapple, core, sliced and cut into cubes. Save all the juice and add water to it to equal 2/3 cup.
1 lb xtra firm tofu (cut into 1" cubes)
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup agave or 3 packets stevia
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 T arrowroot
1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
3 peppers, 1 each red, yellow, orange, cut into chunks
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 thumbnail size piece of fresh ginger ( about 1 t) minced
olive oil

Saute tofu in olive oil over med high to high heat until golden. While cooking tofu combine liquid (plus stevia packets if using) ingredients plus arrowroot in bowl and set aside. When tofu is golden remove from pan, add onions and cook until tender, add peppers and cook until tender-crisp, add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 or 2 more minutes. Add pineapple, tofu and liquid, stir and cook until thickened. Serve over your favorite rice...I prefer short grain brown.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a sweet and sour dish I could get my head around. Even tho I've never liked sweet and sour in the past, I suspect it's because it's usually made with nothing much but sugar, white vinegar and probably MSG. I think wanna try yours, next time I have a pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dish is mildly sweet and sour but still flavorful at the same time. It certainly doesn't taste like any sticky sweet duck sauce style you may get at a Chinese take out. You could also use canned pineapple but since Eden is the only company that guarantees their cans have no BPA, I stay away from canned goods.

    ReplyDelete