Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday's post interrupted by Irene!

The wind is howling the rain is pouring and Irene is on her way. I am sitting here feeling somewhat trapped. This is a ridiculous thing actually. It is Sunday and I would probably just be lounging around, getting caught up on laundry, cleaning and other such boring activities whether it was raining or not. I think it is just the feeling of experiencing the power of nature and possibly being without power for extended periods of time that leaves me with the trapped feeling. Nature is amazing and awe inspiring and we never should underestimate its power. I love the beauty, the strength and the power but I also love the power that comes from the electric company. We so often take for granted that the laundry will get done, dinner will be hot and ready when we are, the dishes will be cleaned and the computer will be there, in all it's connected glory whenever we press a button. When my boys were little they loved it when the power went out. It meant sitting around together and playing cards or boardgames, reading out loud, cooking on the gas grill outside in the snow and everyone sleeping in the living room together to keep warm by the kerosene heater. Of course there would be candles at night and heating water over the kerosene heater to make hot cocoa. When the power came back on my youngest always wanted to pretend it didn't and keep living without it. It does bring a closeness that you forget about during your busy, electrically powered life. That being said, we now have a generator and the boys have grown up so we will see how this storm plays out for this Vegan Goddess on this lazy Sunday afternoon. : )

As I write this it makes me think of some of my favorite things. I am talking about the things I love and would hate to be without. Things that make my life easier or just more pleasant or tasty. Here are a few...


Follow Your Heart Brand Mozzarella Cheese
....Sorry Daiya fans, I think this is WAY better!

Vegenaise.....I use to be a hardcore nayonaise fan but veganiase has won me over.

Olivia's organic spring mix ....perfect for a quick delicious salad or topping to sandwich or burger.

Miso Master organic Mellow White Miso...this is my go to miso. I absolutely love it. It is the one that I use 90% of the time.

Lalibela Farm Organic Tempeh...organic, local, delicious, need I say more?

ShiKai Sandalwood Hand and Body Lotion and the Sandalwood Shower Gel plus the Color Reflect Shampoo and Conditioner....yes, I love this brand. The sandalwood fragrance smells so wonderful and the shampoo and conditioner work on my crazy ass hair!

Ecco Bella Natual Age Antidote Skin Cream...I don't like to admit it but yes I am there.

White Vinegar....no link because I am just talking about plain old fashion white vinegar. I use it to clean glass, chrome and add it to my laundry if I have a very stinky load. There are lots of uses for this stuff...google it!

Ecover cleaning products, including laundry detergent....I sometimes switch it up a bit with brands but I find the ecover brand to be cost effective and it does the job. I do not like the Dishwasher tablets though. They tend to not dissolve well and therefore not work well. : (

Kindle....I am a book-aholic! I love books and I love real books but this little device is wonderful for the books you want to read, maybe many times but don't want to save the actual book. I prefer my cookbooks, reference or text books in traditional form but every thing else can go on my kindle.

Toyota Prius....I seriously love my car. The gas milege is amazing, although when J drives it he gets better mpg than I do! It is cute as can be and has tons of room, which is deceiving by the look of the car. I have no doubt I will get another Prius when the time comes.

Well I guess that is it for now. I need to check on my laundry and prepare something for lunch. It has gotten so much more blustery just since I started typing this post. Tallulah is starting to get a little nervous. The lights have flickered a few times and I want to get things done while I can. If you are within Irene's striking zone...stay safe and be well.

***Edit*** We lost power directly before I pressed "publish." I didn't prepare anything for lunch nor finish my laundry. It has not been a fun experience. It is Tuesday evening and we are still without power. We have a generator that we can use for small things a little at a time and that is how I am posting this. It is inconvenient and annoying but we are all well and really the only hardship is the loss of power and because we have a well, the loss of water. (don't ever take your toilet for granted!) Hopefully we will get it back soon. I will post more then.










3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I feel your pain. We lost power on Sunday around 5:00 am and just got it back last night (Tuesday) around 9:00 pm. To top it all off, my mom was admitted to the hospital on Saturday afternoon! Talk about having something to take your worries off of the hurricane! I will never EVER take running water and a hot shower for granted ever again- the rest of the electronics I can most certainly live without. Very sad because we had to completely empty both fridge and freezer (and thus there goes all of the meatballs I made a few weeks ago, boo hoo!) but grateful that nothing catastrophic took place at my house. Hope you get your power back STAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot of the same favorite things (except I love Teese mozzarella, even though I don't eat much faux cheese any more).

    I almost began whining about the obnoxious influx of tourists into the Tahoe region for the Labor Day holiday and then I remembered what the east coast is presently enduring and I clamped my mouth shut. I'll just grin and bear it!

    Hunker down and stay safe and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melina, I hope your mom is alright. Was it something planned or emergency? I agree. most of the electronics I can live without...at least temporarily, ; ) but water and a toilet are necessities! Glad you are all safe, except for the poor meatballs!

    Christina, I don't eat a whole lot of fake stuff but I do love the mozzarella!

    Maine is actually called vacationland and I live in the "lakes region" of the state...tourist at this moment are driving me CRAZY! If they could pass a test on "manners" and "driving" before entering the state I think I would be fine with that! ; )

    ReplyDelete